||Washington Canoe Club|
The History of the Club
In 1904, when Theodore Roosevelt was president, a group of canoe enthusiasts gathered at the edge of the Potomac, not far from where the northern end of Key Bridge is today, and began to build an extraordinary structure. The architect was Georges P. Hales, and the Washington Canoe Club was clearly conceived by people who knew not only how it would look from the Potomac - striking- but knew how the building needed to work for its purpose-which it does, superbly.
When the club was established, there was a limit of 100 members, and money was raised to construct the building by benefit performances and dances. The Washington Post held a contest to raise subscriptions; the $1000 first prize was won by the club and used for the building fund.
Tradition holds that the clubhouse was built by the
members, using salvaged timbers and lumber from burned barns. It is an
excellent example of shingle-style architecture. Despite numerous floods
and ice Jams, the building has retained its integrity. In the 1950's ice
floes pushed the building five feet downstream, but the structure was
Jacked up and returned to its original location.
The interior spaces have changed very little over the years. The generous open space of the ballroom is impressive; a massive corbelled brick fireplace is located at the center of the north wall. There is a raised bandstand located within the projecting gabled bay to the south and the board room has dropped beams and paneled ceilings. The grill room on the first floor is decorated with a cartoon frieze by Felix Mahony (1867-1939), a cartoonist for the Washington Star and founder of the National Art School. It shows charter members of the club and was painted in 1910. Charles Lundmark restored the paintings in 1981following floods that totally immersed the first floor of the building.
The Washington Canoe Club represents the culmination of recreational trends and attitudes rooted in the nineteenth century. In the 1850s, American society shifted from agrarian to manufacturing and urban centers expanded. Industrialization spawned increased leisure time that set the stage for the development of sports and recreation as we know them today.
By 1860, the interest in sports of all kinds was at its height. Transportation improvements made the country accessible to city dwellers, who took to fishing, canoeing, and camping with a vengeance.
While boats similar to canoes and kayaks have been used
since very early times, their recreational use in Europe and America flourished
in the nineteenth century.
When the club was founded in 1904, its charter stated its mission as "mutual improvement, the promotion of physical culture, and the art of canoeing." At the beginning, canoeing was not the only activity. The club sponsored wrestling matches, boxing, bowling, swimming, track, and water polo competitions. Club members and teams won national and city- wide events. The Christian Science Monitor in 1913 wrote that "... in the winter, ladies' nights, dances, receptions, minstrel shows, and theater parties serve to keep the membership interested."
The Washington Canoe Club is significant for its role in the development of flatwater canoe racing in Olympic competition. The club, competing for the United States, and introducing the sport as a demonstration event at the 1924 Olympics in Paris, won three of the six events raced. The team was made up of Charles Havens, Karl Knight, Harry Knight, and Hank Larcombe. Because only six countries had teams, flatwater racing did not become an Olympic sport
Until 1936. A formidable precedent was set in 1924 and the little Washington Canoe Club has lived up to it by qualifying athletes for all but the 19 3 6 Olympic canoe and kayak team since the sport was officially included in the Olympic games. The club has produced numerous national champions and Olympic medal winners. Frank Havens' 1948 Silver and 1952 Gold medals, the Silver medal won by Francine Fox and Gloriane Perrier in 1964, and Norman Bellingham's gold medal in the 1988 Olympic Games were highlights for the club.
The club is presently designated a "Center of Excellence" by the United States Canoe and Kayak Team (US CKT), the national governing body for the sport of Olympic flatwater racing, and Olympians and Olympic hopefuls train at the club.
Norman Bellingham (1984/1988/1992)
Today, as it nears its 100th anniversary, the Washington Canoe Club continues its strong traditions of excellence in canoeing. Young athletes are introduced to flatwater canoe racing, and are provided instruction and coaching to help them develop their potential in the sport. Club members continue to be involved in administration and organization of canoeing at the national level. Athletes are keeping the Olympic flame in focus as the Games draw near. The club continues to provide the support and encouragement that have been the trademark of the most prominent club in the history of U.S. canoeing to all its athletes -whether Olympic Gold medalist or weekend recreational paddler.
The Washington Canoe Club was designated a District of Columbia landmark in January 1973.
In March 1991, it was designated an historic building with the National Register of Historic Places, and placed on the D. C. inventory of historic sites in the United States.
Contact the WebMaster